An attempt at an open-source, cross-platform client for Space Station 13. This isn't a remake of the entire game; it's just a client for the Byond version of the game.
Using WGPU, because:
- Multiple device APIs, so it works on systems that don't support Vulkan
- This is a 2D game, so we don't need to get fancy
- I don't have any immediate problems with its API
Choosing a GUI
- Dear ImGUI
- Easy to set up, but it had mysterious lag issues and probably isn't scalable.
Reverse-Engineering BYOND Server Communication
What We Know
- DM code doesn't run on the client
- Therefore, BYOND follows a terminal model
- Game data, like sprites, is downloaded before fully connecting to the game server.
What We Don't Know
- Communication format
- Client authentication
- Format & contents of data sent by the server to the client